Plein Air- Classes or Going Solo?


I recently joined a plein air painting class with my all-time favorite instructor, who is a landscape guru when she's not doing portraiture. It was a wild eight weeks. We began with 50 degree florida weather, me snuggled up in a fleece blanket from the back of my car, and ended with 70 degrees painting alongside a family of manatees. (No joke)  I was debating whether to take another round of classes and wanted to go over the pros and cons of trucking it out into the wilderness on your own versus signing up for a class.

And so this blog post was born.

Here I will share my first experience of plein air classes and let you know if I think it was worth the money spent.

1. Taking a plein air class forces you to get the equipment

I don't know about you but there's no way I'm venturing into the fishing and camping section of Dick's Sporting Goods without some strong incentive. Taking a class forces you to fork up the cash for essential plein air equipment that you most probably will use for quite a long time. Of course, this is extra money, but I'd say it's been worth it. Here's my current setup:

Sienna Plein Air Box
Tripod from Best Buy
1 extra large storage tub from Target
1 luggage roller from Bed Bath and Beyond
Jars of Gamsol
Art Bin small containers for paint and brushes
Bungee cord to hold paper towels
Camping table from Bed Bath and Beyond
8x10 canvas panels

I've also been using the tub and roller to carry all my paint stuff to the studio. It's made my life a whole lot easier. And now I can go painting outside whenever I want without spending half the day packing!

2. You get a whole new understanding of color

Who knew how many colors are in a tree! Purple, grey, orange, and yellow, oh my! We all know that painting from life allows the eye to see a wide array of colors, but it's hard to fully grasp this concept until you step outside.

3. The Outdoors can be daunting. 

This can either be a pro or a con. I'm not sure which.
If you are like me, and easily distracted by people walking their dogs, or local wildlife, then it is a double-sided sword. Once those manatees popped their noses out of the water, my painting took a second priority. But that's part of the fun. It's an adventure!

Wind, rain, cold, and heat are all factors non-conducive to painting outdoors, yet they are an inevitable part of plein air classes. Since you are scheduled to paint at the same time each week, you will probably not be lucky enough to have perfect conditions every time. We lost a couple of students to the elements after the first couple of cold days. If you'd rather paint from the comfort of your patio or only on days you know the weather will be nice, plein air classes are probably not for you.

It all depends on your physical ability, the limits of the weather, and your willingness. Nature can either be your friend or your enemy.

 4. You learn really fast what works and what doesn't.

There's no time to sit around making detailed under-drawings. No time to glaze. Just see what's there and paint it. See a color and mix it. It's that simple.

I tried to set up near my instructor during each session. I found this was a great strategy. We not only had some great conversations, but I was able to compare my work to hers and see where I could improve. If I had a problem depicting a certain element, I would ask to watch her paint the same thing on her canvas. It was a wonderful learning experience that you miss out on if you are on your own.

My first painting ended up getting wiped away but I quickly understood where I was going wrong and what I needed to do differently. I found that each painting I did was better than the one before it. That feeling of learning something useful makes it all worth it for me.

5. Free marketing?

I was painting outside on the beach this past weekend and was approached by a family asking if they could buy my painting. I don't know whether people are more likely to buy a painting from you if you are on your own vs if you are taking a class, but it gives you free exposure either way. Plein air is a wonderful way to meet curious passers-by and expand your network. Of course, you shouldn't do it merely as a marketing scheme, but if you are doing something you enjoy, people are naturally drawn to you.

The Verdict?

Honestly, I'm having too much fun to stop now. I love the conversations and camaraderie of plein air painting classes. I love the manatees and dogs and birds I meet. Most of all, I enjoy the time outdoors connecting with nature through the medium of paint.








Comments

Popular Posts